Saturday, August 23, 2008

மனித நேய சேவைக்காக தமிழக இளைஞருக்கு ஐ.நா. விருது

Chennaiite wins accolade from UN


While most youngsters are finding easy ways to make money, here is an individual who is determined to follow his heart and not mind. Not interested in making a huge fortune he prefers to devote his time to social work.

Twenty four-year-old Saleem Khan, a M. Sc graduate of Biotechnology from New College was recently awarded the prestigious Outstanding Youth Campaign Award at the Fifth Annual Youth Assembly of the UN for his thesis on preserving mangroves at Urur Kuppam (near Adyar). Saleem says, "I have been involved in rehabilitation for tsunami survivors and during that time I got to hear about dying mangroves on the coastal areas. When I went there I realised that this was also because the locals were not taking care of it."

As a part of his project work for his Masters, he took up the subject, and with the help of his professor Mr Sultan Ahmed Ismail and classmate Sheikh Ali, he continued to research on the problem even after completing the course. "People there are not aware of the importance of mangroves. My main aim was to spread awareness regarding its preservation," he adds.

Despite getting numerous offers from various companies and colleges for the post of lecturer, he declined the lucrative jobs, as he believes that contributing to society was more important to him than making money. "I have been following the work of UN from a long time and it is my dream to join the organisation. I got selected to participate in the fifth annual UN Youth Assembly Conference, after which I also submitted my projects under the category of environment in their Millennium Development Goals campaign through their official website," he adds.

In the first week of August, Saleem was informed by the UN about his award. However he could not be physically present to receive it as his visa was still pending with the US consulate. "On August 12, my brother Shah Nawaz Khan received the award on my behalf," he says. Participants from about 40 countries took part in the campaign.

He recently also met Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi, who acknowledged his work and extended help if required. "It was truly a great moment for me to be in presence of the chief minister and being recognised for my work. No amount of money could have given me this happiness," he remarks.

"Representing my country on such a huge platform has been a big honour for me. My parents were encouraging from the starting and though many people said that I am wasting my time, they believed in me and today I can proudly show them what I have achieved," says Saleem who now wants to continue research and do a doctorate in environmental politics and policies.



மனித நேய சேவைக்காக தமிழக இளைஞருக்கு ஐ.நா. விருது
கம்பம்,ஆக,23_

மனித நேய சேவைக்காக தமிழக இளைஞர் ஒருவருக்கு ஐக்கிய நாடுகள் சபை யூத் கேம்பைன் அவார்டு வழங்கி கௌரவித்துள்ளது.


ஐக்கிய நாடுகள் சபை உலகம் முழுவதிலுமுள்ள இளைஞர்களை ஊக்குவிப்பதற்காக ஒவ்வொரு ஆண்டும் இளைஞர்களுக்கான மாநாட்டை அமெரிக்காவில் உள்ள ஐ.நா தலைமை செயலகத்தில் நடைபெற்றது. இந்த மாவட்டத்தில் இந்தியாவின் சார்பாக தமிழகத்தில் தேனி மாவட்டத்தில் கம்பம் நகரை சேர்ந்த உத்தமபாளையம் ஹாஜி கருத்த ராவுத்தர் கல்லூரியில் ஓய்வு பெற்ற நூலக ஆசிரியர் அம்சத் இப்ராகிம் கான், ஹசினா தம்பதியின் மகன் சலீம் கான் தேர்வு செய்யப்பட்டார். இவர் எம்.எஸ்.சி பயோ டெக்னாலஜி படித்துள்ளார்.


நிலையான சுற்றுப்புறச் சூழல் மேம்பாடு என்ற தலைப்பில் சுனாமி போன்ற கடல் சீற்றங்களை எதிர்கொள்வதற்கு மாங்குரோவ் மரங்களை கடற்கரை ஓரங்களில் வளர்க்க வேண்டுமென ஆராய்ந்து ஐ.நா சபையில் வலியுறுத்தினார். மில்லினியம் மேம்பாட்டு திட்டத்தின் கீழ் சிறப்பாக பங்களித்ததற்காகவும், மனித நேயத்திற்காகவும் ஐ.நா வில் முதன்முறையாக யூத் சேம்பைன் அவார்டு என்னும் விருது இவருக்கு வழங்கப்பட்டது. இவர் சார்பாக அவரது சகோதரர் நவாஸ்கான் அமெரிக்காவில் உள்ள ஐ.நா செயலகத்தில் விருது வாங்கி சலீம்கான் சார்பாக உரையாற்றினார்.

No comments: